A fall usually occurs when a person loses balance and descends to the ground or a lower level unexpectedly.
Sliding is losing control of one’s footing or balance and moving across a surface unintentionally.
Falls and slides are common accidents that can happen to anyone, anywhere, and at any time. Consequences of falls and slides can range from minor injuries like bruises and cuts to severe injuries like fractures and head injuries.
What Happens to an Individual After a Fall or Slide?
After a fall or slide, the victim may experience various symptoms depending on the severity of the injury. Some common symptoms include pain, swelling, bleeding, and difficulty moving the affected limb or body part.
In severe cases, the individual may lose consciousness or experience difficulty in breathing.
Head injuries are a significant concern following falls or slides. They can range from mild concussions to severe traumatic brain injuries.
A fall or slide can also result in fractures or sprains, around the arms, wrists, hips, and ankles.
Conditions that can lead to a fall or slide
- Tripping over objects
- Uneven ground
- Loss of balance.
- Slippery or icy surfaces. individuals may lose control and momentum.
What to do when someone Falls or Slides.
It is important to check the person’s level of consciousness, pupil response, and signs of confusion or disorientation.
- Checking and observing any signs of deformity, swelling, or inability to move a particular body part is vital
- A call for help is necessary, that is calling a medical emergency service immediately.
- Keep the victim still and stable to prevent further injury. In the case of a neck or spinal injury, do not move the victim.
- If the victim is bleeding, apply pressure to the wound to stop the bleeding.
- In case of a fracture, lift the affected body part using a pillow, this will reduce swelling.
- In case of bruises or swelling, apply ice to the affected area. Wrap the ice in a cloth or towel and apply it to the affected area for 20 minutes at a time.
- While awaiting help, monitor the victim’s vital signs like breathing, pulse, and consciousness level. If the victim shows signs of shock or unconsciousness, keep them warm and comfortable and do not give them anything to eat or drink
Knowing what to do immediately in case of a fall or slide can help save lives until they get proper medical attention.
If you happen to notice someone fall or slide and they are unconscious, call The Ambulance Company on 09155556030/ 09155556040 to get swift medical assistance.
Feel free to Share with your network.