In a medical emergency, many people opt to transport casualties in their private cars instead of waiting for an ambulance. However, using private vehicles for transportation can do more harm than good. Ambulances provide comprehensive care, equipped with medical gear, skilled experts, and safety measures essential for patient well-being. Ambulance crews, highly trained professionals, excel in handling medical emergencies and providing immediate medical assistance.
On the other hand, private car owners lack the necessary medical equipment and training to handle such situations. This increases the risk of worsening the casualties’ condition instead of improving it.
Even if you have first aid training, it is not advisable to transport the patient in your car, regardless of the injury severity or your eagerness to help. Waiting for an ambulance or calling emergency services is the recommended course of action, as they are equipped and experienced in handling such situations.
Let’s examine why using private cars to transport casualties is not the best option
- Limited space: Private cars do not offer sufficient room to accommodate both the patient and the necessary equipment required for proper assistance.
- Safety first: Ambulances prioritize patient safety, equipped with stretchers, oxygen masks, and specialized gear to minimize the risk of further injury or deterioration. In contrast, private cars lack these advanced features, compromising the level of care during transportation. Sadly, there have been cases of patients passing away in cars en route to the hospital, when their chances of survival would have been higher in an ambulance.
- Experts on board: Ambulance crews undergo specialized training to handle emergencies, possessing expertise in analyzing and treating life-threatening conditions. They can provide basic medical advice and ensure patient safety. Private car owners, however, lack the necessary training, putting the patient at greater risk during transportation.
- Training matters: Ambulance personnel possess knowledge and skills that regular individuals do not have. When faced with a road accident victim, for example, bystanders may not be aware of the extent of the injuries, such as potential spine damage. Mishandling the situation can lead to further harm.
- Speed matters: Ambulances receive priority on the road, especially during heavy traffic. Time is crucial in saving lives. Transporting an emergency casualty in a private car without ongoing medical care can be delayed by traffic congestion. Choosing to call an ambulance ensures prompt assistance.
In addition, it is important to not move casualties with private cars due to
Direct access to care: Ambulances have direct access to healthcare facilities, guaranteeing prompt transport to the appropriate hospital department. When uncertain about the appropriate healthcare facility, paramedics can make informed decisions. Attempting to figure it out independently may waste valuable time, reducing the critical “Golden hour” opportunity.
In conclusion, ambulances are the ideal choice for medical emergencies. Waiting for an ambulance or calling emergency services instead of using private vehicles for transportation provides patients with the best chance of survival.
Remember, in a real emergency, our primary instinct should be to transport casualties to the hospital as quickly as possible. However, it’s essential to remain organized and understand that time is of the essence during emergencies. Acting impulsively is not the solution.
Please share this article with your friends and family on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and via Whatsapp so as to help them know the essence of using an ambulance service during a medical emergency. To read more of our emergency preparedness and first-aid care tips click here.